Topics Map > IT Services > Software Support
This document explains how to remove malware from your computer. If MIO contacted you to remove malware this is what you have to do.
Malware is any software that is intended to damage or disable computers and computer systems. Most often it comes in the form of adware that place excessive advertisements and pop-ups when browsing the web. The easiest way to remove this is with a program called Malwarebytes.
Installing and Using Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes is a free application that removes most malware.
Instructions for Windows
- Download Malwarebytes from https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
Once it’s downloaded, run and install it. Make sure to uncheck “Enable Free Trial of MalwareBytes PRO” when prompted
- After opening and running an update you should go to the "Scan" section and select "Custom Scan", then click "Scan Now"
- Under the custom configuration select:
Scan memory objects
Scan Startup and Registry Settings
Scan for RootKits
- Select your C: drive then "Start Scan"
- You will see the scan running
- Afterwards you will see the files that were detected, make sure to select "Quarantine All" then "Apply Actions"
- After that you will see this screen, select "view detailed log"
- It may ask you to restart your system, click "yes"
- After the scan runs you need to remove the infected items. Go to "History" tab, and select "Delete All"
(Do the following steps if MIO asked for verification of Scans)
- After you deleted everything locate the "Application Logs" and double click on the "Scan Log"
- The scanning history log allows you to export and copy to clipboard. We recommend copying to clipboard then pasting it to an email.
- If you want to export, make sure to export as a text file.
- Save the file somewhere accessible.
- After you export you should get a confirmation box.
- Send an email to email@example.com with the log file attached or copied to it.
If you need further assistance please contact the Information Technology Help Desk at 920-424-3020 or firstname.lastname@example.org