Topics Map > IT Services > Training
Topics Map > IT Services > Software Support
Adobe Photoshop - Undo & History; Saving Snapshots
These instructions will show you how to use the undo function, the history panel and how to save snapshots
The Undo option, History Panel, Stepping Backward/Forward, and Snapshots allow your creativity to run wild, knowing that you will always be able to go back to a specific state in your image.
Using the Undo option or keyboard shortcut will undo the last change made.
- Select Edit from the file menu
- Click Undo from the dropdown
- or use the keyboard shortcut Cmd + Z (mac), Ctrl + Z (windows).
The History panel displays the last twenty changes made to an image.
To Use the History Panel:
- The history panel is located in the small bar left of the Color, Swatches, and Libraries panel on the far right.
- To open the history panel, select the top button on that bar (when holding the mouse over it, the word History will show up.
- To open the document after any specific change, select that change from the history panel. If any changes are made after that step, and the document is edited again, the sequential steps will be removed from history, because of a Linear History setting in the history options.
To Turn off Linear History:
- From inside the History Panel select the button at the top right.
- Choose History Options from the dropdown menu.
- Check the box next to Allow Non-Linear History.
- Select OK when finished making the change.
Stepping Forward and Backward
Stepping forward and backward is often used as quick way to undo changes, because these options are available as keyboard shortcuts.
To Step Backward or Forward:
- Open the Edit option from the top menu bar.
- Select Step Backward, or use the keyboard shortcut Cmd + Alt + Z (mac) or Ctrl + Alt + Z (windows)
- Select Step Forward, or use the keyboard shortcut Cmd + Shift + Z (mac) or Ctrl + Shift + Z (windows).
Reverting to the Original Image
This option changes the image back to the way it was opened. It does not delete history.
- Select File from the top menu bar.
- Select Revert from the File dropdown menu.
Snapshots allow for additional return points after changes have been made.
To Create a Snapshot:
- Open the History Panel.
- Select the Camera icon at the bottom of the panel, creating a new snapshot.
To Revert to a Snapshot:
- Open the History Panel.
- Select the desired Snapshot from the list.
If you need further assistance please contact the Information Technology Help Desk at 920-424-3020 or email@example.com