Canvas - Cross-Listing or Combining Courses
This will show you how to manually cross-list or combine courses.
Combining course sites in Canvas is called cross-listing. This is useful if you teach several sections of the same course and only want to manage course data in one location. NOTE: Canvas advises you to not do this with courses that are "published". Cross-listing courses that have grades results in one of the courses grade books (the child course) disappearing.
Get the course ID of your main course
- Open the course that contains your content
- Write down the Course code contained in the URL of your course (6 digit code)
- Open the course you want to cross-list into your main course
- Choose "Settings" from the course navigation
- Choose the "Sections" tab
- Select the only section that appears in this list
- Choose the "Combine Sections" button
- Type in the 5 digit course ID of your main course in the ID dialogue box and hit your "enter" or "return" key on your keyboard
- If the course title is correct select the "Cross-List this Section button