Teams - From beginning to end using Canvas
This KB will show you how to use Teams from creating the room to finding the recording. Its a step by step guide.
Before you begin!. If you are using a MAC and have not adjusted your permissions on your Mac to allow Teams to share your screen please follow this KB article on setting permissions on your Mac for Teams. You will need to have "Teams" installed first before following these directions.
You can also download the following instructions in a PDF format.
- Open the page in Canvas where you want your students to access the Teams meeting
- Select “Edit”
- Click in the Rich Text Editor (where you type content into)
- Select the Plug icon in the toolbar
- Select “Microsoft Teams” (you might need to choose "View All")
- Select the “Create meeting link” button
- Give your meeting a title and time and date
- Click the Create Button
Set meeting options to avoid the “Lobby” feature (optional)
- Select “Meeting options” (this opens in a new browser tab)
- Change the dropdown for “Who can bypass the lobby?” To “Everyone”
- Choose “Save”
- Close this browser tab ( it is hiding the meeting room info behind it )
- Select the “Copy” button
You should now see your page contain the meeting room info that you will direct your students to for that session. You can reuse this meeting or delete this information and create a brand new session after the meeting is over by going back to Step 1.
Enter the room
- At the time of your meeting go to your Canvas course
- Open the meeting page
- Click on the "Join" link
- Select “Open Microsoft Teams”
Setup your video and audio
- Before you enter the room you can make adjustments to your video and audio
- Select the “Join now” button
Start your recording
When you have the screen the way you want it and all your participants are in the room you can start recording. Anything you see in the room will be recorded.
- Select “More Actions” (three dots) > Start Recording
Stop the recording
When finished stop the recording the same way you started it
- Select “More Actions” (three dots) > Stop Recording
It will take some time for your video to finish processing.
Share the Recording
We are going to use Microsoft “Stream” to find and share the video. Your video must be processed before it will show in Stream. You should also receive an email if you were the one who started and stopped a recording
- Go to your browser and open Outlook
- Select the nine dots in the upper left next to the UWO Logo
- Select “Stream” from this list (note you may have to choose “All Apps” if you have never used it before
Find Your Video
- Select the “My Content (tab) > Videos”
Share Your Video (adjust permissions)
- Select the Pencil icon next to the video you want to share
- Select the checkbox “Allow everyone in your company to view this video”
- Select “Apply”
- Go back to your Video page index by choose “My Content (tab) > Videos”
You should now see that you have a Green people permission indicator
- Select the “More Actions” button (three dots) > Share
- Click the “Copy” button next to the “Direct link to video” URL
Share the URL with your students.
You can email this URL or you can place it inside Canvas on a page. The way I would do it would be to add this link to your existing meeting page. Maybe add it toward the bottom and keep a running list of each video you record.
Add this link to a Canvas page
- Go to your Canvas course
- Select the “Teams Meeting” page (or what ever you called it)
- Choose the “Edit” button
- Click return a couple of times to give yourself space below the Teams Join link
- Type the date of the recording
- Highlight that text that you want to be a link to the video
- Click the link icon in the RCE editor
- Paste the URL into the "Link" dialogue box
- Click “Done”
Your text should now be a link to your video. You can format this page anyway way you want. Mine looked like this. Make sure you save your edits in Canvas and that your page is “published”