Spirion - Quick Search
This page is going to explain the basics of how to perform a quick and basic search with Spirion, as well as the different ways to remediate your PII(personally Identifiable Information), should any be found. It will also cover all of the buttons available to the user on the 'Main' page of the Spirion program.
How to perform an Spirion quick search:
- Pressing the start button will start a scan immediately using the default settings.
- The default settings search for Credit Card Numbers, Passport Numbers, Social Security Numbers, and Drivers Licenses.
- This will be the same scan settings as the Monthly Identity Finder Scan.
- The picture below shows Identity Finder right after startup, if you click the green button in the upper left-hand corner you will start a basic scan.
After the search has begun you can click on the 'Status Window' button and Spirion will show you how far it is in its scan, what it is currently scanning, and the amount of PII it has found of each of the types that you have told it to search for.
Remediating your PII
- After the search has been completed Spirion will display the PII that it has found.
- This is where you will have the option on how to remediate your PII.
- The available options are:
- PII remediation is determined by the file type that stores the PII and not by identity type.
When a location has sensitive identity match information in it and you wish to remove it from your computer, you should utilize the Shred feature. Shred is great when you no longer need the personal information or any other data in the item. The Shred button is located on the Main ribbon and is enabled for all types of results.
Note: It is not possible to "undo" a Shred. Shredded results cannot be recovered. Once you shred something, it is gone.
When a location has sensitive identity match information in it and you wish to keep the item but only remove the personal information, you should utilize the Scrub feature. Scrub is great when you no longer need the personal information but want to keep the original item. This feature is also known as Redact. This option will erase the sensitive items from the document and replace them with the character ‘x’.
Note: Scrub is only available for specific file types searched via the Files search (see below) and is not available for E-Mail or other Search Locations(Registry, Browsers).
The Scrub button is located on the Main ribbon and is enabled for certain file types. You may only scrub Office 2007 and higher files (e.g., docx, xlsx, pptx) and text files (i.e., *.txt, *.log, *.ini). There are two ways to Scrub a location:
- Single click the result with the left mouse button to highlight it and click the Scrub button on the Main ribbon.
- Single click the result with the right mouse button to highlight it and bring up a context menu, then highlight and left-click on Scrub.
This option can be utilized in cases where the data identified is either an incorrect identification of PII or the user is unprepared to address the identified PII at that time. It is preferred Ignore is used as a last resort and that all PII is placed on a secure system. Ignore actions are logged and subsequent scans will still locate the PII. Using Ignore will allow you to either ignore the individual identity match or the location(file) that the match was in.
Display Tab Buttons
This will allow the user to filter or sort the results of the most recent scan. These filters consist of keywords, identity types, and location types.
Collapse All Rows
This collapses the rows containing multiple matches within a single file. This button will essentially make viewing each file with PII in it more convenient.
Results Tab Buttons
You may want to view or edit an item in its associated application. For example, if a social security number was found in a document, you may wish to launch Microsoft Word to review the file before taking further action. This option will allow you to launch the application and the file that Spirion has found.
Previous Match / Next Match
This allows the user to switch between the previous match and the next match of PII within the selected file.
- If a Spirion result was found inside a file, you can open the Windows File Explorer File Properties of that file.
- For more advanced changes to the Spirion Search parameters you are encouraged to view the Advanced Search Page.