Topics Map > IT Services > Teaching Tools
Topics Map > IT Services > Software Support
D2L ePortfolio - Embedding a Video from Vimeo
This document provides instructions for embedding a Vimeo Video to ePortfolio. Students can upload a video to Vimeo and insert the embed code into ePortfolio in three easy main steps.
Step 1: Create a Vimeo Account
- Go to Vimeo at http://vimeo.com/.
- Click Join at the top left of the screen.
- Fill in the given fields and accept the Vimeo Terms of Service.
- Click Join.
- Click continue with Basic at the top of the page.
- Check your e-mail to verify your account.
Step 2: Upload a video to Vimeo
- Click Upload a video on the top right of the screen.
- Read the rules to follow, then click Choose a Video to Upload.
- Select the desired file, then click Choose.
- Click Upload Selected Videos.
- Add a title, description, tags, and credits as desired. You may also go to the Privacy, AddTo, and Advanced tabs for further options.
- Click DONE! GO TO VIDEO when it appears at the top of the page. Note: You will need to wait a bit for your video to be converted before moving on to step 3.
Step 3: Embed YouTube video in ePortfolio
- Open D2L in another tab or window.
- Access D2L ePortfolio.
- Click New, then HTML File.
- Create a name for the new video.
- Click on the text editor box.
- Icons will appear within the box. At the bottom left-hand side of the box, click the Edit HTML Source icon. A new window will appear.
- Go back to your new Vimeo video. Once your video is converted, there will be a Share icon you need to click on, inside the video on the top right corner.
- A new window will appear. On the right, copy the embed text under Embed.
- Go BACK to D2L ePortfolio. Paste the text in the new window.
- Click Update to close the window.
- The video should be visible in the text editor box.
- Click Next.
- Add a description and tags as desired.
- Click Save.
- Click Done.
- Verify that your video is working properly by selecting Open File under the title.
Vimeo is a 3rd party service unaffiliated with the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh. This guide is provided to assist members of faculty and students who elect to use these services and want to in connection with institutional systems such as the ePortfolio tool in Desire 2 Learn. In choosing to use such a third party service with UW's Desire 2 Learn users acknowledge that they are individually responsible for their use of any external service and any content they host therein. Users should ensure that they take adequate steps to ensure the security of their account(s) on Vimeo and adequately protect their personal information. The University makes no guarantee about the reliability of such services and the helpdesk will not support their use. This tutorial is for informational purposes only. This tutorial is not an endorsement of the service by Learning Technologies or the wider University.
In other words:
- this tool is not formally supported by UWO
- the Help Desk will not answer any questions about using this tool
- you are responsible for your account on this tool and any content in it
Also note if you choose to use an external 3rd party service, please carefully consider what online identities, email addresses, or existing accounts you decide to use. It may be in your interest to create new accounts with these tools to associate with your studies and professional work.
If you need further assistance please contact the Information Technology Help Desk at 920-424-3020 or email@example.com