Topics Map > IT Services > Technology Purchases
Purchase - What Computer Should I Buy
Recommendation for student computer purchase.
Things to consider when buying a new computer for college
Do I need to bring my own computer to campus?
The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh has computer labs in all residence halls and most academic buildings. Also, all the software programs you need to finish homework or projects are already loaded on them. Check out UW Oshkosh’s lab locations (Residence Halls & General Access), and installed software. With that being said, personal computers are very convenient and a majority of students choose to bring one to campus. Many students choose to bring a laptop or tablet computer for increased portability.
- Processor (CPU): Intel i5 or better
- Memory (RAM): 8GB or more
- Internal Storage: Solid State Drives (SSDs) are much faster and provide longer battery life, Hard Disk Drives (HDDs) provide more storage space at a lower cost.
- Important Note - Students are provided with unlimited cloud storage space on Google Drive and 1 terabyte of cloud storage space on Microsoft OneDrive.
- For best performance, the computer should have 802.11ac wireless connectivity.
- Battery Life: Manufacturers' battery-life claims range from just a few hours up to 12 hours or more.
- Cases: A padded case or laptop backpack is recommended for safer transportation.
Please note, some departments/programs may have additional requirements, please see your advisor or the respective department.
Computer Purchase Discounts
If you need further assistance please contact the Information Technology Help Desk at 920-424-3020 or email@example.com