Plone RSS - Display KnowledgeBase articles on a webpage
This will show you how to embed a customized search that will display current updated articles on a Plone webpage.
You need to perform a search on KnowledgeBase that shows your desired results. For our example were going to search for articles related to "Plone".
KnowledgeBase RSS (XML)
- Go to the KnowledgeBase public site https://kb.uwosh.edu/
- Perform a search. You can customize the search here if you want to, but for this example well just use "Plone"
- Click Search
- The search results will display. At this time you can refine your search if your not getting the desired results. If your satisfied with the results choose the "XML" link.
- This will results in a page with a lot of XML text. Don't worry you don't have to do anything with this text.
- Highlight and copy the URL of that page . Make sure you copy the whole URL.
Were now going to add that RSS/XML feed to a Plone portlet. You will need to have manager access to your Plone site. You will know you have the correct access if after logging into plone you see "Manage Portlets" at the bottom of the right or left column.
- Go to your Plone site
- Make sure you're on the page you want the portlet to appear.
- If you want the portlet to appear on the whole site choose the Contents tab in the edit bar.
- Choose Manage Portlets at the bottom of your site
- Choose the Add Portlet > RSS Feed
- Give your portlet a Title
- Paste the URL of your XML/RSS feed into the RSS dialog box
- Choose Save
That's it! Return to your home page to see the results.
This is a nice way to have an always current list of articles relating to your subject that you don't have to monitor. As new articles are created in the KnowledgeBase that match your topic they will simply appear in the portlet.