Topics Map > IT Services > Account Access and Use
Accounts - Account Deactivation
Information about when accounts may be deactivated
Account DeactivationDescribes situations where accounts may be deactivated.
Why are accounts deactivated?
- No longer affiliated with campus
- Several times a year, user accounts determined to no longer be affiliated with the university are deactivated. An email will be sent to the users university email address 2-3 weeks prior to the account be deactivated.
- No longer in Titan Web
- Account eligibility is determined based on information from Human Resources for employees and the student information system (PeopleSoft/TitanWeb) for students. These systems are considered the definitive source of employment or student status therefore if notice of deactivation has been received it based on data provided from these sources.
- New students who have paid matriculation fees
- Students are eligible to retain an account if they are a new incoming student (paid matriculation fee), or a student enrolled or eligible to enroll in classes in current or following semesters.
- Students on military leave, academic leave, study abroad, or other academic programs which don't include enrollment in a course may retain an email account.
- This information is not always provided to IT, so please contact the Help Desk if a notification is received involving an account.
Who is not eligible?
- Students taking a semester off
- Students taking a semester/year off from school are generally not eligible to retain an email account. If a student returns in the future, the account will be either reactivated or recreated.
- Recent graduates may apply for an extension if additional time is required to move to an Alumni or other email account.
- Apply For Alumni Email
- Students who have graduated may have an Alumni email account. To register visit: https://www.alumni.uwosh.edu/request/
- Currently employed staff
- Staff who have retired from UW Oshkosh
- If an employee retires from the university, the employee may retain an email account. Prior to the retirement date, or when a notice of deactivation is received, contact the Help Desk to have your account changed to a retiree account. Please be sure to provide the date of retirement, as part of the process includes removing access to shared folders which may still be needed prior to retirement date. Retirees may be contacted periodically to verify the account is still in use, if an account remains unused for an extended period of time the account will be closed.
Who is not eligible?
- Employees who quit
- Employees who are terminated
- Former employees who quit or are terminated are not eligible for an account after their employment end date.
- Employees who work (1) semester per year
- Employees who work one (1) semester per year (or less) may find an account is pending deactivation due to not having a contract between semesters. Contact the Help Desk to have your account extended between off semesters if this is the case.
If none of the above apply and it is felt that a UW Oshkosh email account should be retained, contact Human Resources to verify contract information has been entered correctly. The deactivation notices are sent based on the HR data, reception of a notice indicates that during the time the notices were generated a current contract was not on file. After contacting HR, contact the Help Desk to guarantee continued account access.
If you need further assistance please contact the Information Technology Help Desk at 920-424-3020 or firstname.lastname@example.org