Accounts - Account Deactivation
Information about when accounts may be deactivated
Why are accounts deactivated?
- Users are no longer affiliated with campus
- Several times a year, user accounts determined to no longer be affiliated with the university are deactivated. An email will be sent to the users university email address 2-3 weeks prior to the account be deactivated.
- Users are no longer in Titan Web
- Account eligibility is determined based on information from Human Resources for employees and the student information system (PeopleSoft/TitanWeb) for students. These systems are considered the definitive source of employment or student status therefore if notice of deactivation has been received it based on data provided from these sources.
Account deactivation notices notices from the Help Desk email account and will not ask for any personal information or passwords via email or web forms. Don't be fooled by scams sending false warnings about account activity or anything asking for account information or passwords.
Deactivated accounts cannot be used to send or receive email. Accounts which have been in a deactivated state for longer than six (6) months may be deleted from the system.
Who is eligible?
- New students who have paid matriculation fees
- Students are eligible to retain an account if they are a new incoming student (paid matriculation fee), or a student enrolled or eligible to enroll in classes in current or following semesters.
- Students on military leave, academic leave, study abroad, or other academic programs which don't include enrollment in a course may retain an email account.
- This information is not always provided to IT, so please contact the Help Desk if a notification is received involving an account.
Who is NOT eligible?
- Students taking a semester off
- Students taking a semester/year off from school are not eligible to retain an email account. If a student returns in the future, the account will be either reactivated or recreated.
- Recent graduates may apply for an extension if additional time is required to move to an Alumni or other email account.
- Apply For Alumni Email
Who is eligible?
- Currently employed staff
- Staff who are emeritus of UW Oshkosh
- Faculty Handbook. GEN 3.B.19. Emeritus Status
- If an employee acquires emeritus status from the university, the employee may retain an email account. Emeritus status is initiated by the retiree's respective department chairperson.
- Emeriti are required to confirm the active status of their accounts annually and will be notified as part of the account deactivation process.
Who is NOT eligible?
- Employees who resign
- Employees who retire but do not receive emeritus status
- Employees who are terminated
- Account deactivation occurs immediately after an employee's last working day.
- Employees who work (1) semester per year
- Employees who work one (1) semester per year (or less) may find an account is pending deactivation due to not having a contract between semesters. Contact the Help Desk to have your account extended between off semesters if this is the case.
If none of the above apply and it is felt that a UW Oshkosh email account should be retained, contact Human Resources to verify contract information has been entered correctly. The deactivation notices are sent based on the HR data, reception of a notice indicates that during the time the notices were generated a current contract was not on file. After contacting HR, contact the Help Desk to guarantee continued account access.
If you need further assistance please contact the Information Technology Help Desk at 920-424-3020 or firstname.lastname@example.org