Adobe Illustrator - Creating and Using Artboards
This guide will show you how to explore artboards and how to add them to projects.
To Create a New Document with Multiple Artboards:
- Go to the File menu and choose New.
- The New Document dialog box will appear.
- Set a name for the new document and choose a preset or set the size of the document.
- In this dialog box change the Number of Artboards.
- Choose how the artboards will be laid out.
- Grid by Row
- Grid by Column
- Arrange by Row
- Arrange by Column.
Projects change directions, and the need to edit artboard is common.
Using the Artboard Tool:
- Choose the Artboard tool from the Tools Panel. It is located towards the bottom of the Tools panel. Or press Shift + O on the keyboard. Or:
- Go to the File menu and down to Document Setup
- Inside the Document Setup dialog box, click Edit Artboards.
- This will automatically invoke the Artboard tool.
- Click on the artboard to edit, that artboard will have a bounding box surround it.
- Click and drag from any corner to resize the artboard. A width and height box will appear as the board is changing as a guide.
- For more precision, enter the exact size in the control panel .
- Click and drag from inside the artboard to move the artboard in the document window.
- Click and drag in the document menu to create a new artboard.
The Artboards Panel
- Another way to customize artboards is with the Artboards Panel.
- Click the Artboards panel icon in the panels section to the right of the interface to expand the Artboards panel.
- Or choose Window from the menu bar, and click Artboards.
- Rearrange the order of Artboards by clicking and dragging much like Layers or by clicking the up or down arrows at the bottom of the Artboards panel with an Artboard selected.
- Click on the panel menu in the upper right corner of the panel to access more options.
If you need further assistance please contact the Information Technology Help Desk at 920-424-3020 or firstname.lastname@example.org