Adobe InDesign - Exporting an Open Document to PDF
This guide will show you how to properly export a document into PDF.
- Choose File > Export.
- Specify a name and location for the file.
- For Save As Type (Windows) or Format (Mac OS), choose Adobe PDF (Print), and then click Save.
To use a predefined set of job options, choose a preset from the Adobe PDF Preset menu. High Quality Print is the most common, typically best preset to use.Click Export (Windows) or Save (Mac OS).
- When the Adobe PDF (Print) option is selected, it is not possible to include interactive elements in the PDF.
Export .PDF of Booklet for printing
- Choose File>Print Booklet to open the print booklet dialogue box.
- In the setup menu, choose the desired print present if there is one
- Specify the range of pages to print to select “All”
- Choose the booklet type (most likely 2-up Saddle Stitch)
- Check “print blank printer spreads” if there are any pages in the document that are blank but should still appear in the booklet.
- Select the preview tab on the left of the dialogue box. This will present a preview of the printed document. Watch for red areas or the yellow warning triangle for any possible errors in the document.
- Choose “Print Settings”
- Select the “Postscript File” from the Printer drop-down menu. If a printer preset has the settings desired, choose it in the Print Preset menu.
- In the Setup tab: Confirm the correct paper size.
Select the orientation of the booklet.The Marks and Bleeds menu will handle the bleeds and crop marks. It can be found on the left side of the print dialog box.
- It’s important to distinguish between page size as defined in the Document Setup dialog box for your document and paper size the sheet of paper. The page size might be US Letter (8.5-by-11 inches), but larger piece of paper might be needed to accommodate any printer’s marks or the bleed and slug areas.
Click OK and then Print.Choose a destination to save the file and name it.Open a program called “Acrobat Distiller”Choose “High Quality Print” under the default settings dropboxChoose File > Open and select the postscript that was just createdDistiller will create a .pdf of the postscript file and save it in the same locate. This .pdf can be send directly to a printer or shared.
- If printer’s marks are desired select them here. Create new bleed margins or check “Use Document Settings” if bleed has already been determined.
If you need further assistance please contact the Information Technology Help Desk at 920-424-3020 or email@example.com