Microsoft Excel 2016 - Exploring Data Entry and Editing
This guide will show you how the data entry process works in Excel and the differences in editing from Word Processing programs.
Data Entry TipsThere are a few basic things in Excel which will make data entry a much easier and manageable task.
- When entering data in Excel, the currently selected cell can be changed either by left-clicking the desired cell, or by using the arrow keys to navigate to it.
- In Excel, number-only data aligns to the right of the cell while everything else aligns to the left.
- After finishing entering data into a cell, to move to the next cell in that row, press Tab.
- After entering data into the last desired cell on a row, to move to the first cell in the next row, press Enter.
Editing TipsWhen using Excel to enter data, there are some key differences between using a Word Processor and Excel.
- When typing a word and realizing a mistake was made earlier in the word, do not use the arrow keys to go back as arrow keys are used for navigation. Press the Delete key.
- If the cell has already been navigated away from, simply left-click on the cell and start typing the correct word. It will replace the old one.
If you need further assistance please contact the Information Technology Help Desk at 920-424-3020 or firstname.lastname@example.org