Microsoft Excel 2016 - Sorting Data
This guide will show you the basics of sorting data in Excel.
Sorting data can be done in Excel for simple tasks like sorting by one column, or more intensive things such as sorting by 3 columns.
- Select all the data which should be sorted by left-clicking and dragging over the cells.
On PC, select the Home tab. Then select the Sort tool. On Mac, simply select the Sort tool from the toolbar. From the Sort Tool Drop Down Menu, select Custom Sort.Choose the desired sorting method.
- Do not select the header row.
- To add multiple sorting methods, select the + arrow in the bottom left corner of the Sort Window.
- These options can then be arranged in whatever order is desired.
Quick SortingSometimes an in-depth custom sort is not necessary. If a spreadsheet only needs to be sorted by one column, then quick sorting can save a little time.
- Select the row which should be the determining factor in sorting.
- Select the Sort Tool from the toolbar.
- Select either Ascending or Descending from the pop-up menu.
- Select Expand the Selection, then select Sort.
If you need further assistance please contact the Information Technology Help Desk at 920-424-3020 or firstname.lastname@example.org