Topics Map > IT Services > Training
Canvas - Migration Help - D2L Course Complexity Tool
The course complexity tool will provide you with an analysis of your D2L courses. It will give you information on areas of your course that might make a clean migration to Canvas more difficult.
D2L Course Complexity Tool
The Course complexity tool was developed to help instructors understand the amount of time and effort it will take to move a course from the D2L platform to the new Canvas environment. The tool will identify potential problem areas of a course that may make the transfer of materials more difficult. It will then categorize your course(s) into one of three general categories of difficulty, low, medium or high. For more detailed information on exactly how various D2L tools transfer to Canvas please see the UW System Course Migration FAQ page.
Note: It is the general recommendation of the UW Oshkosh instructional designers that course transfers be avoided and materials added manually to Canvas. Although the time and effort in this process may seem to be higher, the effort will allow instructors to use the tools available in Canvas in the manner they were designed. It will also save a lot of manual clean-up that may be required when a course is directly migrated to canvas. The overall result will be a cleaner and more stable Canvas course.
Access the Course Complexity Tool
- Click the link to access the Course Complexity Tool
- Use the dropdown to select your desired campus.
- Login using your campus credentials. (At UW Oshkosh this is your NetID)
- The tool will open to reveal the semesters currently available in the tool. (We hope to add more semesters in the future.) Click the arrow before the semester to expand the semester and reveal courses and an overall difficulty designation for the course.
- Click the course title to reveal additional information on the overall course difficulty designation as well as a break-down of which tools may be more difficult to migrate from D2L to Canvas.
- Click an individual tool to get information on why that tool may be difficult (or easy) to migrate. You are also provided with links that will take you to the FAQ page for more detailed information.
There are several tools available in the Course Complexity Analysis that may help you understand how your course was analyzed.
Note: When clicked some of these tools will prompt you to login to D2L. Complete the login then return to the Course Compexity tool and click the icon again. This will take you directly to certain portions of your D2L course.
- House Icon: When logged into D2L, this link will take you directly to the course homepage for the course.
- Arrow Icon: When logged into D2L, this link will take you directly to the Export page of your course.
- Checkbox Icon: This icon will display the rubric used to categorize the course as low, medium or high complexity
- Question mark Icon: When clicked, this icon will provide a tour of the Course Complexity Environment.
- Redirect Link: When logged into D2L, this link will take you directly to the portion of the D2L course that the tool is referencing. For example the course size redirect will take you to the Manage Files area of the D2L course for you to review. The Grade Items redirect will take you to the Manage Grades page of the D2L course.