Topics Map > IT Services > A/V Services
Censor or blur parts of a video
This will teach you how to visually block out a part of your video. Its written for EdTPA students that don't need to worry about the aesthetics they just need to block someones face or name.
The easiest way to censor or block out a portion of your movie is to use iMovie. If you have a Mac, thats great, or you can visit the Student Technology Center in the basement of Polk Library (polk5).
You will need to download an image from the internet so find a black square (you could make one but I was lazy :) ). I searched for "blacksquare.png". OR you can download this black image (right click and choose "save file as").
- Open iMove and import your video
- Import your black square
- Drag your movie into the timeline
- Drag your square in the row above your video
- Choose the square (double click it) and change its properties to be "picture in a picture".
- Resize the black square (in the properties area) using the blue balls in the corners and overlap the area your wanting to censor
- Change the duration of that black square to how ever long you need to have it on screen
As your subject moves around you may need to copy and paste and reposition the black square to keep up with the movement. Don't try animating the black square (you don't need it to be pretty). My suggestion is to make the black square big enough that it covers as much as possible given the timeline. That way you don't need to copy and paste as often.
If you have any problems feel free to call the Student Technology Center ... good luck!