Topics Map > IT Services > IT Security
Campus Computer - Requesting Administrative Rights
This document provides instructions on how to request an exception to allow you to have local administrator rights on your campus computer.
Campus Computer Safety
In order to meet UW System Information Security Policy, the default computer setup does not provide the user with local administrator rights. This prevents the user from installing software or printers on their own. This should not be a problem for most users, since each computer has a software center from which they can install campus software and printers.
Requesting an Exception to have Local Administrator Rights
Information Technology acknowledges that there may be specific job tasks or research activities that do require local administrator rights. To request an exception, allowing you to retain local administrator rights, please fill out this form.
- Once your request is received, the Help Desk will create a ticket to confirm receipt.
- Staff will evaluate the need to see if it can be met using our standard deployment tools.
- If a work-around that does not require administrative rights does exist, then the request will be denied.
- If it doesn't, then we will ask your supervisor, Dean/Director, and the CIO/CISO to approve your request.
- If all approve, then the request and administrative rights will be granted
Information on Software Centers
If you need further assistance please contact the Information Technology Help Desk at 920-424-3020 or email@example.com