Canvas - Cross-Listing or Combining Courses
This will show you how to manually cross-list or combine courses.
Cross-Listing in Canvas
Combining course sites in Canvas is called cross-listing. This is useful if you teach several sections of the same course and only want to manage course data in one location. NOTE: Canvas advises you to not do this with courses that are "published". Cross-listing courses that have grades results in one of the courses grade books (the child course) disappearing.
Get the course ID of your main course
We only want to get the ID of your main course. We will do nothing else with your main course.
- Open the course that contains your content
- Write down the Course code contained in the URL of your course (6 digit code)
- Open the course you want to cross-list into your main course
- Choose "Settings" from the course navigation
- Choose the "Sections" tab
- Select the only section that appears in this list
- Choose the "Cross-List this Section" button
- Type in the 6 digit course ID of your main course in the ID dialogue box and hit your "enter" or "return" key on your keyboard
- If the course title is correct select the "Cross-List this Section" button
Cross-Listing Directions Video
Limit users ability to interact only with their own section.
If you are cross-listing sections out of convenience please make sure to Limit users ability to interact with only their own section.